Canada’s teenager Felix Auger-Aliassime has had a brilliant start to the season and he has been rewarded with the wild-card for the Madrid Masters that will be played in May.
However, the exciting youngster isn’t yet sure if Monte-Carlo will also oblige him with a wild-card or if he will need to go through the qualifiers to make it to the main draw of the tournament.
In a media released, the Madrid Masters organisers said that the new world number 33, Auger-Aliassime, will be afforded a direct entry into the main draw of that tournament after his sterling run at the Miami Masters last week.
Auger-Aliassime made it as far as the semi-finals in Miami, which included a quarter-final victory over Borna Coric, before he went down to John Isner. And as a result of that showing, to go with his surprise win over Stefanos Tsitsipas in Indian Wells, he has now firmed up his place in the main draw of the Madrid tournament that begins from May 5.
However, Monte-Carlo is yet to get back on their wild-card entrants, which means the Canadian will need to wait to see if he would make his clay court debut directly in the main draw or not.
Auger-Aliassime’s world ranking of 33 should have got him a direct entry into all the Masters tournaments including Monte-Carlo but the decision deadline around this is usually taken way before the start of the Miami Masters. Incidentally, if he doesn’t get a wildcard, there is another way Auger-Aliassime can make the main draw of the Monte-Carlo Masters – he is the fourth alternate player and three dropouts from the main draw will give him that opportunity anyway.
Feliciano Lopez, director of the Madrid Masters said in a press released:
“Felix is an incredible player. Everything he is doing at 18 years of age is astonishing. He has a spectacular future, with a practically limitless range of shots. He earned his invitation to play in the main draw through his results early this season. I’m sure he will do well.”
More information on how to buy Monte-Carlo tickets can be found here.