After months of speculation, former world number one Andy Murray has revealed he could be playing singles as early as Cincinnati Masters in August.
Having featured at Wimbledon in the doubles and having confirmed his participation at the Washington Open doubles competition with brother Jamie, Murray has been in line for a return to singles but not many expected it to come in a fortnight’s time. The Cincinnati Masters will be played from August 11 this year.
The 32-year-old Murray has said in the past it would be tough for him to play in the singles at the US Open and he confirmed the same again. Murray said if he fails to get ready in time for the Cincinnati Masters, it would be tough to make a comeback at the best-of-five sets in US Open.
Speaking to the media, Murray said:
“Best-case scenario probably would be Cincinnati. Then if I wasn’t able to play in Cincinnati, there’s a good chance I would probably wait until after New York because I wouldn’t want my first tournament to be playing best of five.”
Murray will also feature at the Montreal Masters, partnering with Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in that tournament after having played with him at the Queen’s competition in June. He also partnered with Serena Williams in the mixed doubles at Wimbledon.
The Brit had said earlier this year his hip injury could spell an early end to his career in a tearful press conference before the Australian Open. Murray had indicated he would love to call it quits at Wimbledon this year but following a highly successful hip surgery and rehabilitation period, he has come back well so far and the chances of extending his singles career look brighter than they were at the start of the season.