Austria’s Dominic Thiem has pulled out of the 2019 Cincinnati Masters because of a virus he picked up before his first round match.
Thiem, who was supposed to play Richard Gasquet in his second round match at the Cincinnati Masters, suffered a viral fever following his campaign at the Montreal Masters last week. And with the US Open coming up in less than two weeks, the Austrian fourth seed decided not to take any chances.
In a press release, Thiem said:
“In Montreal (where he was playing the Rogers Cup) I thought I just had a cold. But it turned into a fever yesterday. The smart thing is to not risk the US Open and the rest of the season, I need to get healthy and there are still 12 days to go before the start in New York.”
Dominic Thiem has withdrawn from #CincyTennis singles and doubles with illness.
He is replaced in singles by Federico Delbonis and in doubles by the team of Mannarino/Pouille.
— Western & Southern Open (@CincyTennis) August 13, 2019
Earlier, he had said he wasn’t sure he would be able to play in the competition after admitting he wasn’t 100% fit in the lead-up to the tournament. He will now be replaced by Federico Delbonis in the singles draw.
Thiem’s withdrawal follows Rafael Nadal’s decision to pull out after winning the title at the Rogers Cup. What this means is that the top half of the draw has Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer joined by John Isner, Karen Khachanov, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev, while the second half is left with Alexander Zverev and Kei Nishikori among the top players.