While Roger Federer is yet confirm his clay court schedule for this season, the chances of him participating at the Madrid or Rome Masters look high.
When asked if he would be participating at the Monte-Carlo Masters in April, Federer has said that might be too early for him to return to playing on clay.
However, he had earlier confirmed he would be playing on the red dirt surface this year. This means the next big tournaments he could look at featuring at are the Madrid Masters which starts on May 6 and the Rome Masters that begins in the following week in the lead-up to the French Open.
In an interview with Sport24, Federer said:
“I do not want to play much more. I’d rather train more and prepare well for the grass-court season, I do not definitely want to overdo it. What tournament should we look at? Monte Carlo is probably too early.”
Federer has skipped clay-court seasons in recent times to get fully fit for the other major tournaments including the Masters played on hard-court surfaces. The last time he played in a tournament on clay was in the 2016 Italian Open, and he was ousted in the third round of that competition by Dominic Thiem.
It was also a tournament that saw Novak Djokovic beat Rafael Nadal as early as in the quarter-finals before he lost in the final to Andy Murray.