Brazilian rising player Thiago Seyboth Wild has revealed he has tested positive for coronavirus, becoming the first tennis player to do so.
In a social media post, the 114th-ranked player said he had quarantined himself over the last few days and was taking doctor’s instructions seriously.
Seyboth Wild, who had earlier won his first ATP title at Santiago in what turned out to be the last ATP tournament he played, also asked everyone to stay indoors in a bid to fight off this virus.
Stay safe pic.twitter.com/rshLHLOTqY
— Thiago Seyboth Wild (@thiagoswild) March 25, 2020
The 20-year-old said:
“Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve contracted the COVID-19 but I’ve self-isolated myself for the past week. And I’ve been taking care of myself and following the doctor’s instructions.”
“This is just a reminder for you all to stay at home, take care of the people you love and help us all to not spread this disease.”
“Stay home and stay safe.”
Earlier, according to a report on TennisWorldUSA.org, Andrea Petkovic has said Bernard Tomic had admitted “it [his statement he had coronavirus-like symptoms] was all a lie and that he even doesn’t know why he did it.”