Former tennis player and current tennis commentator Patrick McEnroe has revealed he has tested positive for the Covid-19 virus (coronavirus) but said his symptoms were receding.
McEnroe, who has captained the USA Davis Cup team in the past, revealed he has self-quarantined himself in his basement for the past 11 days after displaying symptoms associated with this illness.
In his video, McEnroe said while the bad news was he has tested positive, his symptoms have also gone away for now.
— Patrick McEnroe (@PatrickMcEnroe) March 31, 2020
“My symptoms have passed. I feel 100 percent. My wife Melissa is doing an unbelievable job taking care of the house, the kids and myself.”
McEnroe also revealed his entire household was is isolation at home for the past fortnight or so and added he recommended the same to everyone.
“I’m an example of someone that’s been able to fight through it. Thoughts and prayers to all those people who are struggling with this. We’ve got to listen and stay home.”
The tennis world had already seen Brazil’s Thiago Seyboth Wild become the first player to reveal he was suffering from the illness.
New York City has already seen more than 40,000 cases of people testing positive for the virus, and there have been plans speaking of using the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center as a hospital. It will house more than 300 beds and the Louis Armstrong Stadium could be converted into a commissary according to reports.